Monday, July 10, 2017

Short and sweet


You've received a contract, and the time has come to begin the editing. Have you been 100% honest with your new publisher, and especially your editor, about your writing and publishing history? I hope so because once I've been assigned a new author, the first step I do is to run a name search on the internet; for the writer's legal name and pen name.

When I locate the author's name, website, or Facebook page, I read about them. It's amazing what people will say on Facebook that they wouldn't swear to in a court of law. If you've tried to play off you haven't been published before, but have a year's worth of blogs on a site or in the public domain, you just lied.

Save yourself the embarrassment and back-pedaling; make your editor aware you've experience writing [and self-editing] on a blog or in a newsletter at work. This gives me knowledge about your ability to take suggestions and sets the tone for a better working relationship. As an editor, I DO have the ability to say no to an assignment.

Mistress of the Red Ink Pen

No comments:

Post a Comment